Curbside Trash and Recycling Collection
Midvale City provides curbside collection of residential trash, recyclable materials, bulky waste items and green waste through Ace Recycling and Disposal. Not all properties (HOA’s, commercial buildings, apartments) receive these services through Midvale City. All occupied properties in Midvale City are required to subscribe to services to prevent issues associated with the accumulation of waste and the impacts it can have on the community.
If your garbage or recyclables were not picked up, please contact
Ace Recycling and Disposal at 801-363-9995.
If your container is missing, damaged or if you have questions, please contact
Midvale City Utility Department at 801-567-7200, option #1
To start or discontinue service, or to request additional cans, please contact
Midvale City Utility Department at 801-567-7200, option #1.
Trash will be picked up on a weekly basis and recycling is picked up on a bi-weekly basis. Review the Midvale City Trash/Recycling Map and Calendar to determine if you live in a yellow or blue pick up area and when your recycled items will be picked up.
Please have your trash or recycling receptacles out the night before or no later than 6:30 a.m. on your service day. All materials placed curbside for collection must fit in the appropriate bin or it will not be collected.
Trash (Brown Receptacle): All non-recyclable materials are to be placed in your brown trash receptacle. It's important to note that recyclable items are not sorted or removed from the landfill-bound waste stream. This means that everything that goes in your brown barrel will end up in the landfill, so be sure to consider what type of material you're throwing away before you dispose of it.
Recycling (Blue Receptacle): It is important to know what can and cannot be placed into the recycling barrels to ensure efficient processing of materials. Items that are accepted for recycling can be found on the "Big 3" List. Please recycle ONLY the items described on this list.
Unacceptable items for your brown and blue receptacles: Please do not put dirt, rock, concrete or sod in the receptacles. Additional prohibited items include flammable materials such as oil, gas, and paint; hot ashes and coals; hazardous and toxic waste; septic tank waste; unbagged animal waste; explosive and radioactive materials; automotive products including motor oil, tires, and batteries; and metal and debris from construction, remodeling, or demolition projects.
Lost, Stolen or Damaged Trash and Recycling Containers
If your trash and/or recycling receptacles are stolen, call Midvale City at 801-567-7200 and select option #1 to report the incident. If your trash or recycling can is damaged Ace Recycling & Disposal will replace the container and the City will assess the replacement cost on your utility bill (if the damage was due to negligence.)
If you think your receptacles have been missed, please check your neighbors to make sure their receptacles have been dumped. Ace Recycling & Disposal only collects one side of the street at a time. If your side of the street has been picked up and your can is still full, please call Ace Recycling & Disposal at 801-363-9995.
Services will not be picked up on the following holidays:
- New Year's Day
- Independence Day
- Thanksgiving Day
- Christmas Day
If your trash service day falls on a holiday, receptacles will be picked up one day later.
Curbside Bulky Item and Green Waste Collection
Residential trash service also includes monthly bulky item and green waste collection. Ace Recycling & Disposal will pick up bulky items and green waste that are too big to fit in trash cans on the third FULL week of every month on the customers normally scheduled trash day. (With the "week" starting on a Sunday.)
The City encourages everyone to recycle bulky items that can be reused by donating them to a local charity. Several charities will pick up the donated items at your house. If you have items that you need to dispose of, please follow these guidelines:
- Bulky waste items include furniture, mattresses, water heaters, lamps, car seats, bikes, large toys and household appliances (without Freon). There is a 75-pound limit.
- Green waste items include wood products such as 2 x 4's, particleboard, plywood, etc. (large metal and concrete will not be picked up and must be removed), leaves, twigs, pine needles, wood chips, and tree limbs. Green waste does NOT include grass clippings, weeds or non-woody plants.
- All materials including tree limbs and stumps should be cut into 4-foot lengths and be no more than 18” in diameter, they MUST be bundled and twined together, and must weigh less than 75 pounds.
- Loose material (leaves, twigs, pine needles, wood chips, etc.) should be placed inside trash bags or boxes. They may also be placed in trash cans.
- Place bulky and green waste items on your curb no sooner than 2 days prior to your normally scheduled trash day and no later than 6:30 a.m. on your scheduled trash day. Ace Recycling & Disposal will not return to pick up items if they are not properly prepared and placed on the curbside in time.
- Stack green waste together, bundled and twined in 4-foot sections. Place bulky waste in another pile at least 2 feet away from green waste. Do not park vehicles within 15ft. of the pile.
- Freon must be removed from items (refrigerators, freezers and air conditioners) by a professional and be tagged with a copy of the receipt.
- 55-gallon drums must be emptied and have the tops removed.
- Do not place items in front of your neighbor’s home.
- Scavenging is against the law.
Unacceptable items - We will NOT pick up the following items:
- Loose piles of yard waste and trimmings
- Broken concrete or concrete of any kind
- Vehicle parts
- Propane tanks
- Major construction or demolition debris
- Commercial, industrial, and business waste
- Contractor-produced waste of any kind
- Grass clippings (Grass clippings can be placed on top of other garbage in your trash can so they don’t get stuck in the bottom.)
- Every day household garbage, such as food waste and packaging
- Flammable materials such as oil and gas
- Hazardous and toxic waste
- Explosive and radioactive materials
- Freon must be removed from items (refrigerators, freezers, etc.) by a professional and be tagged with a copy of the receipt. They will not be picked up without a receipt.
Leaf Bag Program
As fall weather is upon us, and trees start losing their leaves, we ask for your assistance in helping us keep leaves out of our storm drains by utilizing the leaf bags provided by Midvale City to collect your leaves.
HERE’S HOW IT WORKS!
- During the first and second weeks of November, Midvale City will deliver leaf bags to each household.
- Collect leaves from yards, gutters, and storm drain grates, and dispose of them in the provided leaf bags. Please do not put garbage in with the leaves, only bags with leaves will be picked up, no other waste is accepted.
- Leaf bags will be picked up by Ace Recycling on your regularly scheduled trash day the week of November 18-21.
- Place bags of leaves at curb prior to 6:30 a.m. on your trash day, along with your bulk waste items.
Additional bags may be picked up at Midvale City Public Works at 8196 South Main Street, Monday through Thursday from 6:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Limit of 5 additional bags while supplies last.
Christmas Tree Recycling
Christmas trees may be recycled on the third FULL week of the month with your bulky/green waste items. Please be sure to remove all decorations, icicles, lights, hooks, tree stands, etc. We will not pick-up any flocked/decorated trees or plastic wrapped trees. Trees over 8 feet tall must be cut in half to facilitate handling by our crews.