Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

It is possible to have chickens or beehives in residential areas of Midvale City! Before setting up your chicken coop or beehive, be sure to review this page for information detailing the requirements and process necessary to receive approval for your new friends.

Permit Required

To have chickens or beehives on your residential property an Administrative Conditional Use Permit, or ACUP, is required. Applications for ACUPs are reviewed and approved by City Staff and do not require a public meeting. The application process, however, does require notice to be mailed to nearby property owners and, as a result, typically take 3-4 weeks to complete.

Step 1: Determine how many chickens or beehives you can have

To qualify for chickens, your property must be:

·         Located in a single-family residential zone (SF-1 or SF-2);

·         Occupied primarily by a single-family dwelling (chickens cannot be permitted on properties with duplexes or multi-family dwellings); and

·         At least 5,000 SF in size.

To qualify for beehives, your property must be located in a single-family residential zone (SF-1 or SF-2).

If the appropriate requirements are met, chickens or beehives may be permitted!

The number of chickens or beehives you are allowed is based on your property size. Please refer to the table below for the specific numbers.  




 Lot Size Hens Allowed
 <5,000 SF 0
 5,000 - 6,999 SF 2
 7,000 - 9,999 SF 3
 10,000 - 21,779 SF 5
 ≥ 21,780 SF 8





          Lot Size           Colonies Allowed
 ≤ 21,780 SF  2
 > 21,780 SF  5






Step 2: Locate the chicken coop or beehives appropriately.

Once the number of allowed chickens or beehives is determined, they must be located appropriately. The following requirements must be satisfied in locating and maintaining chickens and beehives:


For Chickens:


·         Chickens must be located in a secure enclosure that includes a coop.

·         The coop must have at least 2.5 SF per chicken if it allows the chickens to roam outside the coop and within an enclosure. If the chickens cannot roam outside the coop, the coop must have at least 6 SF per chicken.

·         The coop must be structurally sound, covered, weatherproof, well ventilated, and predator-resistant.

·         The coop must be located in the side or rear yards of the property.

·         The coop must be at least 10’ away from the house on the property.

·         The coop must be at least 30’ away from houses on neighboring properties.

·         The coop must be at least 2’ away from all other property lines.

·         The coop and enclosure must be hidden from public view behind a fence, landscaping, or something similar. 

·         Chicken feed must be stored in rodent- and predator-proof containers.

·         Water must always be available to the chickens. A warming device, to prevent freezing, is required if chickens are kept when it is cold.

·         The coop and enclosure must be cleaned at least once per week. No odor can be detected at the property line.

·         If composting chicken waste, the composting area must meet the same location requirements as the coop and enclosure.

·         Chickens shall not be slaughtered on the property.

For Beehives:


·         Beehives must be kept in Langstroth-type hives with removable frames and in usable condition.

·         Beehives must be located at least 25’ away from any property line or a flyway barrier at least 6’ tall will be required.

·         A water source must be located on the property and at least 20’ away from the hive.

·         A sign with the name, phone number, and other identifying marks (such as registration number), must be posted in a visible and conspicuous location on the property.

·         All honey bee colonies must be registered with the Utah Dept. of Agriculture and Consumer Services.

·         All colonies must be maintained with marked queens and re-queened annually. A colony shall be re-queened if it exhibits unusual aggressive characteristics, such as swarming or stinging/attempting to sting without provocation.

·         No colony or colonies may be kept if they interfere with the normal use by people or animals of public property or property of others.


Step 3: Submit application.

Once the layout of the chickens or beehives has been determined, the application may be submitted. The following information must be submitted with the application:

§  Application Form

§  Property Owner’s Affidavit and Agent Authorization (if applicant is not property owner of record)

§  Mailing labels for all property owners within 300’ of the property. Mailing labels may be obtained from the Salt Lake County Recorder’s office (2001 S State St, Room N1600). Labels must be printed – hand-written labels cannot be accepted.

§  Fee ($75 plus postage)

§  Details on coop/beehives showing the associated construction and location requirements are satisfied.

§  Site Plan, drawn on an 8.5”x11” or 11”x17” sheet of paper and includes the following:

o    Name and address of applicant;

o    Scale;

o    North arrow;

o    Accurate dimensions of subject property, drawn to scale;

o    Adjacent streets and properties, including names;

o    Location of existing and proposed structures on subject property and immediate neighbors;

o    Existing improvements, including fences, curbs, gutters, sidewalks, driveways, etc.;

o    Existing landscaping, including trees, shrubs, and other planting areas;

o    Any other unique features on the property, such as ditches, hillsides, etc.

Please submit the completed application to the Midvale City Planning and Zoning Department in City Hall. Administrative Conditional Use Permit applications take approximately 3-4 weeks to review.

Step 4: Approval and beyond.

Assuming the application is in order, City Staff will issue an approval letter approximately 3-4 weeks after the application is submitted. Once approval is given, the chicken coop/enclosure or beehive(s) may be set up. An inspection by City Staff is required to verify setup is complete and the conditions of approval have been met. Contact the Planning and Zoning Department to schedule this inspection, which is usually completed within a day or two of the request.

Step 5: Enjoy!

Once the inspection is complete, you are free to enjoy your new chicken or bee friends!

You are expected to maintain the chicken and beehive facilities for as long as the chickens or beehives remain on your property. Failure to do so may result in the City revoking approval and requiring removal of the chickens or bees.

For more information regarding chickens or bees, please refer to the Midvale City Municipal Code or to the Midvale City Planning and Zoning Department.