Business Licensing FAQ's

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

What is a Business License?

A business license is city permission to operate a legal business within the boundaries of the issuing government body. In Midvale City Ordinance 5.02.010, the term ‘business’ shall include all activities engaged in or caused to be engaged in with the object of gain or economic profit.

Why is a Business License required?

Midvale City' s Ordinance 5.02.020 states that it is unlawful for any person to engage in business within the City limits without first having obtained a business license. A separate license shall be required for each type of business and for each place of business.

A business license is required to help:

  1. Confirm businesses are operating within applicable laws and ordinances
  2. Maintain a safe environment for the general public
  3. Make sure that zoning and building codes are in compliance
  4. Maintain a list of currently licensed businesses for public access
  5. Ensure that sales tax is properly remitted

Who Needs a Business License?

All businesses that are conducted from a location in Midvale City are generally licensable, However, certain business professions are specifically exempt from license fees by the State of Utah. Even though these professions are exempt from license fees, they typically are not exempt from the rest of the license process including filing a valid license application and completing necessary safety inspections or zoning requirements. If your business will be located in a commercial zone, it is advisable that you contact the Planning and Zoning Department at 801-567-7231 for specific zoning requirements and restrictions prior to signing a lease or filing a license application.

Does my Home Occupation Business Require a License?

Midvale City requires all home occupational businesses to obtain a business license. However, your home occupation business may be exempt from paying licensing fees according to Title 15A-11-05 section D.19. Click below for more information.

Home Occupation Licensing Fee Exemption Request

How long is my license valid?

Midvale City business licenses are valid for one year. Licenses are renewable annually and are NOT transferable from one owner to another or to any other location other than the one indicated on the license.  

How do I change ownership on a business license?  

If your business changes ownership, it will be necessary to close your business license and apply as a new business under the new ownership.

What if I move locations from one location to another within Midvale City?

If your business moves from one location to another within Midvale City, it will be necessary to close the account for the old location and apply for a new business license under the new location. This will require new inspections to be completed.

What if I close my business or move my business out of Midvale City?

If your business closes or moves out of Midvale City, please notify the Midvale City Business Licensing Department at 801-567-7200 or visit Midvale City Hall,  7505 South Holden Street, Midvale, UT 84047.

How do I change my business name on my license?

If you change your business name, please provide proof of your current registered business name from the Utah Department of Commerce. You may submit this to the Business Licensing Department in person, 7505 S Holden Street, Midvale, UT 84047.