Do I Need a Building Permit?
A Building Permit is required for most construction in the City. Some of the exceptions are:
- A detached accessory building less than 120 square feet (non residential)
- A detached accessory building less than 200 square feet (residential)
- Cosmetic work i.e. carpet, tile, painting, wall papering
If you have a question as to whether the work you are doing requires a permit, please call the building department at 801-567-7200.
Building Permit Application
Permit applications, plans, and other required documents can be submitted online.
- Commercial Power to Panel Agreement
- Residential Power to Panel Agreement
- Construction Completion Checklist (Sign Off Sheet)
- Special Inspection Sign in Sheet
- Special Inspection Form
- Demolition Requirements
- Contractor Verification Form
- Owner/Builder Certification
- Basement Remodel / Finish
- Fire Impact Fee
- Commercial Wastewater Questionnaire
- Building Permit Application
- PrePlan Check Fees
- Preliminary Site Plan Procedure
- Service Change Disclosure
Finalized electronically stamped plan (post corrections) will need to be printed to original scale (no smaller than 24"x 36") in color are required to be brought into the office for a final wet stamp before construction and inspections can begin. Pre-construction meeting is required on all new commercial buildings, apartments/townhouses and twin homes, and may be required on some remodels.
A trash container and toilet facilities are required on all sites.
All new construction, additions, basement finishes, remodeling, siding, re-roofs, window replacement, water heater replacement and furnace replacement require a building permit and building inspections.
A building permit and inspections means that your home or commercial building:
- Meets standards for safety
- Ensures your structure was built according to the approved plans
- Provides proof to insurance agencies that the work was done with a permit and safety requirements were met.
Building inspections occur between 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday. You must submit an inspection request online a minimum of 24 hours in advance. Inspections may be scheduled online between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. or until the calendar is filled. To schedule an inspection you must have the permit number, address, and the type of inspection you are requesting. We ask that the general contractor on record schedule all inspections.
Midvale City Building Department Address
Midvale City Hall
7505 South Holden Street Midvale
Utah Telephone: 801-567-7213