Do I Need a Building Permit?
A Building Permit is required for most construction in the City. Some of the exceptions are:
- A detached accessory building less than 120 square feet (non residential)
- A detached accessory building less than 200 square feet (residential)
- Cosmetic work i.e. carpet, tile, painting, wall papering
If you have a question as to whether the work you are doing requires a permit, please call the building department at 801-567-7200.
Building Permit Application
Please note that all plans and other required documents must be attached as a single PDF document to your application before submitting online.
- Owner Builder Certificate
- Contractor Verification
- Demolition Requirements
- Construction Completion Checklist (Certificate of Occupancy)
- Basement Remodel / Finish
- Fire Impact Fee
- Commercial Wastewater Questionnaire
- PrePlan Check Fees
- Preliminary Site Plan Procedure
- Service Change Disclosure
- Special Inspection Form
- Special Inspections Signature Sheet
Finalized electronically stamped plan (post corrections) will need to be printed to original scale (no smaller than 24"x 36") in color are required to be brought into the office for a final wet stamp before construction and inspections can begin. Pre-construction meeting is required on all new commercial buildings, apartments/townhouses and twin homes, and may be required on some remodels.
A trash container and toilet facilities are required on all sites.
All new construction, additions, basement finishes, remodeling, siding, re-roofs, window replacement, water heater replacement and furnace replacement require a building permit and building inspections.
A building permit and inspections means that your home or commercial building:
- Meets standards for safety
- Ensures your structure was built according to the approved plans
- Provides proof to insurance agencies that the work was done with a permit and safety requirements were met.
Building inspections occur between 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday thru Friday. Inspections requests may be submitted online between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. or until the calendar is filled and must be online a minimum of 24 hours in advance. To schedule an inspection you must have the permit number, address, and the type of inspection you are requesting. We ask that the general contractor on record schedule all inspections.
* NOTE: All electrical & gas clearance inspection requests must have Rocky Mountain and/or Dominion Energy's work order number included in the notes or your inspections can not be scheduled. Thank you! *
Midvale City Building Department Address
Midvale City Hall
7505 South Holden Street Midvale
Utah Telephone: 801-567-7213