Business Licensing

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


Jessie Stuart
Business License Administrator


Steps to complete BEFORE applying for a Business License with Midvale City

If you are using your own name as your business name it will not need to be registered. However, if you use any other name, or even your abbreviated name, you are required to register the name. This is called a fictitious name registration or DBA which stands for 'Doing Business As'. For example, if your name is Kristine A. Jones and you name your business Kristine Jones, you will not have to register it, but if you call it Kristine Jones Preschool or KJ Enterprises, you will have to register the name. Corporations and Limited Liability Companies register their name when they file their Articles of Incorporation or Articles of Organization.

  • Obtain a Utah State Sales Tax Number

This can be done online at the same time you register your business name and is only needed for sales and certain service businesses. If you are relocating to Midvale City then you will need to file a TC-69C form with the Utah State Tax Commission. Proof that Midvale City is withholding city will be required before a Business License application will be accepted.

  • Obtain employer related tax number

If you will have employees, you are required to register with the following agencies.

  1. Internal Revenue Service
  2. State Tax Commission
  3. State Unemployment Insurance
  4. Worker's Compensation Insurance is required of all employers. 


 Documents that may be required at the time of application

  • Proof of business name registration
  • State and Federal Tax ID forms (if applicable)
  • Articles of Organization (applicable to LLC, Partnerships, and Corporations. You can order copies of business documents if you have lost them.)
  • A valid U.S. government issued ID such as a U.S. passport or a valid state Driver's License
  • CURRENT copy of your Professional License. (This is only applicable for professions such as massage therapy,  contractor, nail technician, etc.)
  • Signed AND notarized Check Cashing Affidavit (included with application packet. ALL business are required to have this form signed and notarized.)
  • Signed and notarized Owner's Covenant Home Occupation Form (applicable for a  Home Business only)
  • Signed Home Occupation Affidavit Form (applicable for a Home Business only)
  • CURRENT background check (Required for a liquor license, massage therapy, Auction/Auctioneer, and sexually oriented businesses)

Business License Applications

 Application Type
Application Fees Jan 1-June 30
Application Fees July 1-Dec 31
 Beauty-Nail Salon
 $68  $34
 Christmas Tree Sales
$247 +  $200 Cash Bond
 Commercial Business
 Fees Vary
 Commercial Massage Establishment
 Fireworks Stand
$247 + $1,000 Cash Bond
 Home Occupation Business
 Landlord $143 + $7-$80 for each housing unit
 Liquor/Beer Sales and Services
$300 per license
 Massage Booth Rental
 $68  $34
 Seasonal Flower Stand
 Seasonal Food Stand
 Seasonal Produce Stand  $247
 Sexually Oriented Business - Employee
 Solicitors & Peddlers
 Taxi Driver
 Vending Cart (Food Stands)