Building & Safety

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option
Don Steffensen
Building Official

Kirk Anderson

Plans Examiner/Building Inspector

Glade Fawson
Building Inspector
Wendy Ball
Building Permit Tech



Permits Required

A Building Permit is required for most construction in the City. Some of the exceptions are:

  • A detached accessory building less than 120 square feet (non residential)
  • A detached accessory building less than 200 square feet (residential)
  • Cosmetic work i.e. carpet, tile, painting, wall papering

If you have a question as to whether the work you are doing requires a permit, please call the building department at 801-567-7210.

The following items are required for residential building plan review:

  1. A completed building permit including the assessor’s parcel number
  2. 2 copies of site plan
  3. 2 complete sets of building plans
  4. A nonrefundable pre-plan check fee
  5. New residential buildings will need a soil report

The following items are required for commercial plan review:

  1. A completed building permit including the assessor’s parcel number
  2. 2 Site plans (3 if fire sprinklers are included)
  3. 3 complete sets of plans including structural, electrical, mechanical and plumbing
  4. A nonrefundable pre-plan check fee
  5. New commercial buildings will need a soil report

Permit applications, plans, and other required documents can be submitted in person, mailed to Midvale City's Building Department, or submitted online. If you are submitting plans online, a hard copy of the finalized plan (post corrections) will still be required. A pre-construction meeting is required on all new commercial buildings, apartments/townhouses and twin homes, and may be required on some remodels.

A trash container and toilet facilities are required on all sites.

Building Codes

Design Factors

Seismic Zone: D Wind Load:IRC 90 mph / IBC CAT II buildings 115 mph
Exposure: C typical Frost Depth: 30"
Roof Snow Load: 30 psf Ground Snow Load: 43 psf

Helpful Handouts


All new construction, additions, basement finishes, remodeling, siding, re-roofs, window replacement,  and water heater and furnace replacement require a building permit and a building inspection. A building permit and inspections means that your home or commercial building:

  • Meets standards for safety
  • Ensures your structure was built according to the approved plans
  • Provides proof to insurance agencies that the work was done with a permit and safety requirements were met.

Building inspections take place between 8:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. You must call or submit an online request a minimum of 24 hours in advance. Inspections may be scheduled online or via phone with Wendy Ball between 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. at 801-567-7212. To schedule an inspection you must have the permit number, address, and type of inspection needed. We ask that the general contractor on record schedule all inspections. Exact times will only be given for concrete or masonry inspections. If you wish to know an approximate time, you may call the building inspector at 801-567-7208 or 801-567-7209 between 7:00 a.m. and 7:30 a.m. of your scheduled inspection.

Midvale City Building Department is located in Midvale City Hall:

Midvale City Hall
7505 South Holden Street
Midvale, Utah
Telephone: 801-567-7212
Fax : 801-567-0518